Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Next Book – "The Tender Bar: A Memoir"

I know I promised The Danger Habbit by Mike Barrett would be the next read, but I've decided to read The Tender Bar: A Memoir next. It's a book that I asked for a few years ago and received, only to sit on my book shelf.

It is time to read it. So many of the praises on the book's back cover. "A memoir of coming of age in, of all unlikely places, a great American bar." "The Tender Bar will make you thirsty for that life - its camaraderie, its hilarity, its seductive, dangerous wisdom." "Simply a wonderful book about a heaven of a life that everything going against it except intense love worth more than all the money in the world."

It makes me curious if that is the life – the camaraderie and wisdom and a heaven of life – many "Christians" are truly longing for but aren't getting inside the four walls of a building. And, wanting that life is made out to be shameful.

No comments: