Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Day in the Attic

Yesterday Alina, Sam, and I traveled to my mom's house in Lansing. Jean needed the alone time. I needed to help my mom move and deliver several boxes of books that she had been storing for a relative for several years. I also wanted to go through a few of my dad's things that remained, as well as a few of my toys that remained.

We only make it to the Lansing area a few times of year anymore. Typically only when Jean's brothers all make it to town from out of state. So, I think yesterday was the first time I had been to my mom's house in a year - to set up her new to her computer.

It was like my bedroom was frozen in time. A few meaningful unopened bottles of beverages were on my wall shelf - a bottle of Mountain Dew from high school graduation, a can of Wink from Canada from my best friend (we met together every Wednesday morning for prayer during college, backpacking trips to Canada and Colorado, and he was the best man in our wedding) to name a few. The Amy Grant poster was still on the wall from the "Heart in Motion" album.

In the attic was my Grandfather's coronet that my mom played in marching band. I had forgotten how beautifully the instrument was detailed. Sam and I enjoyed trying to make music on it. I came across a few more Evel Knievel toys. All my stuffed animals. A couple of Tonka trucks that hadn't made out of the attic on previous toy raids. My box of hats (many serving as advertisements for the Chevy Blazers my dad drove, or the brands of cigarettes he smoked). Moon boots (yesssssssssssssssss!).

One of the coolest finds was in the box that also contained my mom's snowmobile helmet. In that box was a brown paper sack that was weathered by time. In the sack were the the congratulation cars from relatives and friends when I was born. That was cool. There was also one "it's a boy" cigar with the cards. I SO wanted to smoke it. Maybe on a special occasion. For now, it is safe inside the weathered brown paper bag inside the weathered Mead paper box.

No comments: