Friday, December 21, 2007

Comfort?

Last night I went to a viewing. I wanted to comfort my close friend and his wife. She had lost her brother.

The viewing was at a church in Lowell. There was a long line from the auditorium and through the lobby to offer sympathy and condolences to the family. A powerpoint presentation scrolled verses of comfort over peaceful photographs. I couldn't help but think, What a load of crap! I am not sure who the verses were intended for, but those verses made me wonder what use those verses were to the man who died. To the man who willingly took his own life. It was such a paradox of good Baptist lifeless comfort opposed by the sight of a man that found no comfort here. And, he left behind a little boy who will grow up with self accusation that he wasn't enough to make his dad want to live. I just don't understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...I am so sorry for the situation. That is just heart breaking.

You make a very good observation about the disconnect of those comforting scripture verses.

Jennifer
www.MyTrueSelf.Typepad.com