Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Evel

Friday afternoon I was reading the headlines at "The Office." Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel had passed away. It was like losing a distant uncle or something. He was a part of my childhood. I remember being younger than Sam and watching his jumps. And the crashes. The fountains in Las Vegas. The canyon. Four of his jumps still among the top 20 most watched events on ABC's Wild World of Sports. I had several of his motorcycle toys. The regular motorcycle. The chopper. The rocket bike. I still have a lot of it in my basement, though they are barely together now.

In April 2007 he announced to over 4,000 people that he had accepted Christ. It is a cool conversion story. Not to awkwardly spiritualize his life, or his death, as we can easily do as Christians but it is cool nonetheless.

No comments: