Thursday, August 26, 2010

Slug Bug

We play Slug Bug in the car. The game has evolved since I was young. When I was young we only did the slug when we saw the Volkswagen Bug. Today, all Volkswagens count. Sam also learned from a friend that PT Cruisers are worth two punches. WHAAAT!?!?!

We sometimes play for points. Newer Volkswagens are worth 1 point. Old Skool Bugs are worth 5, and Old Skool Vans are worth 10 points. Volkswagen "Things" and the Volkswagen "Karmann Ghia" are worth 100 ––basically they make you the winner for the entire day. The other day at Central Market I saw what I thought was the mother of all Old Skool Volkswagens. It looked to be the earliest Volkswagen Bug ever made! I began snapping photos with my phone. I noticed "Citroën" stickers on the car, and a funny logo. Hmmm?

As it turns out, Citroën has nothing to do with Volkswagen. Citroën is French automobile manufacturer that was founded in 1919. The innovative company even mass produced the world's first front-wheel drive car in 1934. But, as unique as the car was it didn't earn me any points.

No comments: