Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Taking My Opponent More Seriously

In the fall I taught Sam how to play checkers. I have always considered myself to be a very, very good checker player. Sunday night had been the first time we played a game of checkers in several weeks. I took a leisurely approach to the game, and before I knew it Sam had me against the ropes with only four checkers left. A couple more mistakes by me, and he won.

Last night I vowed to take him more seriously. It looked to be a route, but one false move and he took two kings. I narrowly escaped with a victory. He is six weeks away from turning seven, and he is brilliant. Brilliant at checkers, school, making friends, and enjoying life.

To the winner goes the reward of getting to tickle the loser. Sam loves being the tickler and the ticklie. He wins no matter what. He has the best giggle of anyone I know.

No comments: