Thursday, February 21, 2008

High Blood Pressure?!?!?!?!

"Is your blood pressure always high?" the nurse asked me? "No," I said. "We're getting ready to move."

Yesterday was my annual check-up at the allergist. I am very allergic to yellow jackets, wasps, hornets and honey bees. I started getting venom injections 3 years ago to aid in any reaction that I might have if I was ever stung out in the backcountry – especially if it was just Sam and me.

The high blood pressure was a bit of a shock. Yes. I do feel stressed. My depression hasn't had the grip it did in previous months. But, I do feel stressed. Most of our home is in chaos because of the painting. Carpeting goes in Monday and Tuesday, so the painting must be done this weekend. All that is left to paint on the main floor is the trim in the office, the closets in the office where Bill is mudding, and edging the kitchen and utility room. Bill should be done with the final drywall sanding Friday. Friday night will probably be an all nighter with priming for when some friends are coming over to help paint the basement Saturday.

Tuesday before I left work I asked Jean to let Sam know we were going sledding when I got home. We had a blast. Alina even went sledding with us. After sledding Alina went inside, but Sam and I stayed out and threw snow at each other and wrestled in the snow. The thing about Sam is that the harder you play with him the more he enjoys it. I was very thankful for having the opportunity to break and enjoy Sam and Alina. It was very good.

With that great time, why was my blood pressure high? I guess it will take a lot more than an evening in the snow to help. And, I tell myself that the stress won't end when the painting is done and the carpeting is in. There will still be small things to do. There will be chaos with bargaining to get the house sold – right up until the closing papers are signed. We will pack up. We will move across the country. We will settle a new home. We will have a new community to get to know and new relationships to build. Classes. Jobs. My chest is getting tight thinking about it all.

It will all be stressful, but there needs to be more space for downtime. I know that we won't continue to keep running at this pace. It's not good for anyone. Yesterday was conferences and Sam's teacher commented on what a pleasure he is and how much he has matured. I need to swim in that more. Jean and I are committed to this process because we know God has called us to MHGS. I must enjoy this time. Stress and all. It is shaping me for good. It isn't something to just get through. It is something to do well. I don't even mind the work of getting the house ready. It's creative. I think the high blood pressure is stemming from a lot of demands in more areas than I can adequately give attention to.

1 comment:

John said...

Ed- I hope you have been able to relax. Take Care!

John Patton