Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Good Pain of Cash

At the Dave Ramsey event a few weeks ago he talked about selling the things around your house, and the kids wondering if they are next. I leaned forward and told our Senior Pastor, who was sitting in front of us, that is totally what it is like at our house. Often if Jean or I move a toy Sam will ask, "Are you selling that?"

We've sold a lot of things on Craig's List. We've also purchased a few from Craig's List. We downsized from the massive wrap around desk and printer stand that took up a quarter of the room we (primarily me) use as an office. We found a beautiful, and much smaller, desk that was built around 1900.

And now, my venting... We pay with cash. That part is nice. We hadn't seen anything on Craig's List that we liked for living room furniture. We went to American Freight Company on January 5 and laid out cash for a new love seat and couch for our living room to hopefully make it look more inviting to potential home buyers, and less like the monkeys that escaped the zoo play there. We had heard that American Freight was a lot like Redeux, the company that sold furniture wholesale but went out of business. So, we went to American Freight and found a love seat and couch that we liked. At least, I think we liked it. It has been a month and I don't even remember what it was supposed to look like. We were told that it should be in within 5-7 days. We called told, "It should be on the next truck." We repeated that cycle a few times... At week three I went in and asked where it was. "We aren't sure. We are told that it will be here, but it never comes on the truck. But, because you've waited so long we've been authorized to give you 10% back." "Will I get that in cash? I paid in cash." "No. They'll send you a check." "When will the check be sent?" "Today is Saturday. They cut checks on Thursdays." "Riiiiiiiight..." At least I got that in writing. I called Wednesday and was told that they were told that it is definitely supposed to be on Monday's truck. I said that if it wasn't, I was coming in Tuesday for my money.

So, last night I went in. I sat on a piece of furniture while the some customers were being helped at the register. One customer was complaining about her damaged furniture. When most of the customers were gone one of the workers said, "I wanted to strangle that lady I was just on the phone with." I was then asked, by the strangler, "How can we help you?" "I'm here for my refund." He looked at his co-worker and said, "Asaph, would you like to help this gentleman?" Asaph was actually one of the guys that helped us way back long ago on January 5. Asaph began writing up a fax coversheet to send to their corporate office for my refund. I asked, "Am I going to have to wait for a check? I paid in cash?" "I don't have that much money in the till, sir." "I was told by Hector a week and a half ago that I would be getting a check for 10% off, and I haven't seen that check yet. How long will I have to wait for this check?" "They cut checks on Thursdays. I have asked them to rush it. I am hoping 7-10 days, but it may take 21-35 in case they are backed up." I said, "What a load of crap. I feel like I've been ripped off. We have one chair in our living room. And now it may be a month before the check comes." "A representative will be calling from our corporate office to discuss your satisfaction. You are free to discuss your unhappiness with him." He gave me a receipt showing that I had asked for a refund. In the "Reason" field, it said, "Change of Heart." It wasn't a change of heart, it was frustration with poor customer service and empty promises. They had never been proactive in calling us. We were always the one calling and always felt brushed off. And, I am left wondering if we will ever see the money.

It would have been easier to pay by credit card, and then deposit the cash and pay it off. They could have refunded me last night and put the refund on credit card. A debit card would still have required them to send us a check. A credit card would have been easier. But, easy gets us all into debt. Though I would like the money NOW, cash is still better. It puts flesh and pain to purchases and decisions.

No comments: