Friday, April 23, 2010

Dryers and Sam's Feet

During the kids' spring break I fixed our dryer. I am the family launderer. I was noticing that the dryer was leaving long, thin brown marks on my dress shirts and on Jean's blouses. After taking it apart, upon further inspection, I noticed that one of the roller wheels was very worn. You can see just how worn the inside edge of the wheel is in the photo. The worn wheels were causing a gap between the dryer drum and seal. The rear seal of the dryer was also very worn. Clothes were then getting caught in the gap caused by the worn wheels and getting dirty when they rubbed against the worn rear seal in the dryer drum.

When we were leaving for the appliance parts store Sam said, "My feet really itch!" I told him that he probably had athlete's foot. I asked when he had last changed his socks. He said, "I don't think I've changed them since spring break started." It was now Thursday. Spring break began the previous Friday.

I ended up replacing both dryer wheels, the belt, and the front and rear seal. Dryer repair is pretty simple, and I could probably keep this unit going indefinitely. It is SO much quieter with the new wheels. So much quieter that it is often hard to tell if the dryer is still going or has ended.

1 comment:

steve said...

WTG ED on being the launderer and fix it guy! EDventure You Are!