Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Remember This Feeling

Sam started kindergarten Tuesday. We took Sam to school as a family. Mrs. Anderson had her students line up on the sidewalk. They played Simon Says. I was very impressed with Sam's Simon Says skills. He listened well and only did what Simon, Mrs. Anderson in this case, said.

Then, the line went in. This familiar feeling came over me. It was the same feeling I had when Sam was 3 months old and we gave him to the doctor to take through the doors and down the hall for kidney surgery. This feeling of "I have to entrust him to someone else" washed over me. He waived at me and said, "Bye Dad!" and went through the doors. I entrust him to Mrs. Anderson.

3 comments:

anne said...

I can't imagine this feeling. But I'm sure it was heart-wrenching.

Ed said...

Yeah. It was. Similar to the surgery, I know it is for his best. But, it is still hard to let go.

Jean said...

Hard to believe that was five years ago. The next blink he'll be going into jr. high then driving off to college. Scary how time flies so fast, but a good reminder to live every moment to its fullest.