Friday, September 08, 2006

Crazy Gear Friday


Something about this tent has always, always fascinated me. Not just the fact that the windows have been cold crack tested to -60º F. There's something more. Not just the fact that this is the tent they use at base camp on Mt. Everest. Though, that is really cool. It is more the environment and elements that this tent can withstand. To me this tent is a metaphore. It takes you in when you are beaten up by the elements. It provides shelter for you while you regain strength. This tent is a metaphore for a friend.

Earlier this week I was feeling pretty down. Basically, that I suck. Especially compared to my friend. He seems to have this genuine love about him. I told him that I suck compared to him. Not that I am comparing myself to him. I am comparing my self to Jesus. But, he just humbles me. He is a good physical example of what it means to be like Jesus. This is what he wrote to me:

"Dude! That is the craziest thing I ever heard! I don't mean to diminish your feelings in any way, but I have to say I am shocked by your comments. Are you sure you meant to send that to me?!

My brother, I look at you and I see a beacon for Jesus. What you do for guys through the mountain biking and now the orienteering. What you do for hundreds on a Sunday by knocking out the sweetest worship music. What you do by being a devoted and faithful husband to an amazing woman. What you do by raising Sam to be the coolest little man on the planet. What you do by nurturing Alina in a father's love. What you do for a friend who is feeling lousy and at home painting by bringing him multiple containers of the best ice cream along with root beer and blueberries. What you do by taking your family and friends on adventures. What you do by your generosity. What you do by a Christ-like example for your family, friends and countless others.

Brother, I am most sincere when I say I am shamed by what you do. Seriously. Your example makes me feel like the biggest slacker on the planet. I am a sluggard. I am but a worm.

I really cannot begin to fathom where you're coming from when you say what you said. Really. I can't.

I know you weren't looking for some props here and I'm not just blowing smoke to make you feel better. In a real friendship there is gut level honesty. I'm being gut level honest here when I say I am shamed by your example. I am shamed by how little I do for others...including my
family...and for the Kingdom. I'm truly about the most selfish person I know. I have such a long way to go.

I'm not sure where your lack of self-esteem comes from or why you beat yourself up the way you do sometimes. I can guess, but it doesn't matter.

What matters is you are a magnicifent creation of dust! You were created by God for his good pleasure and I know he revels in you. And I know your kids revel in you. And I know your bride revels in you. And I know your friends revel in you.

Truly, you've got nothing to prove. I don't know much, but I know Jesus wouldn't die for a loser. And I know he died for you. He found you worthy enough to die for. That's good enough for me.

Love ya like a play cousin, brother.

You are created in His image. How cool is that?

I often tell the girls that one sign of a good friendship is when they bring
out the best in each other.

I think we have a real good friendship.

I thank God for you."

This guy is this tent. He has helped give me shelter when the elements came against me. He gave me the rest I needed to heal. And, he continues to assure me that I am okay. That I can climb again, even though sometimes I get afraid after the fall I took off of the mountain. My friend is like this 2-Meter Dome.

Tent Description:
Utilizing the original geodesic dome principle created by Buckminster Fuller to create the highest ratio of enclosed area to external surface area, the Two Meter Dome from The North Face is the optimal shelter for an expedition of up to eight people.

Tent Features:

  • Unique pole configuration creates steep tent body walls that maximize the dome's internal space
  • Easton 7075-T9 Aluminum Poles are constructed with a combination of cold work, heat treatment and aging to create an incredibly strong and lightweight aluminum pole
  • Durable 420 denier nylon pack cloth floor is built to withstand the abuses of base-camp life
  • Two durable exterior polyurethane windows let you keep an eye on your surroundings and are cold-crack tested to -60 F
  • A chimney vent allows air to circulate and two doors make exit and entry easy for the tent inhabitants

Specifications

  • Suggested use: Expedition
  • Capacity: 8-person
  • Minimum weight: 47 lbs 0 oz
  • Packaged weight: 51 lbs 0 oz
  • Floor area: 125 sq ft
  • Floor diameter: 155 inches
  • Interior peak height: 83 inches
  • Number of poles: 12
  • Doors: 2
  • Windows: 2
  • Floor material: 420-denier nylon taffeta
  • Canopy material: 210-denier nylon Oxford
  • Fly material: 210-denier nylon Oxford
  • Stuff size: 32 x 23 inches
  • Freestanding: Yes

2 comments:

MappyB said...

Dare I ask how much the tent costs?

Ed said...

Only $4,995. It's packed weight is around 51 lbs., so it's like $97.94 per pound. SUCH A VALUE!