Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Greatest Day of My Life

Saturday was a rainy day. Like many days lately. After naptime Sam and I went bike riding. For Sam, bike riding is best when there are puddles and/or mud involved. If there aren't puddles, might as well leave the bike in the garage. Saturday there were some great puddles from rain earlier in the day. Then, it started raining again during our ride. Then it was absolutely POURING! Every inch of asphalt was a puddle. Great! We hit some of our favorite water collecting spots and mudholes. Sam got stuck in one mudhole and said, "Dad, This is the greatest day of my life!" HA! That's was so cool to hear. Then, there was thunder. We rode as fast as we could through the parking lot of the highschool and back home. We found out the next day that there was actually a tornado warning out. Perhaps I should listen to the radio more or watch more TV. NAH!

Last night was orienteering group. A sweet night was had by all. On Wednesday mornings I go back out to the grounds and collect the control markers. This morning about 7 AM I went into Sam's room. I sat on his bed whispered, "Sam, would you like to come with Dad to get the control markers?" His eyes opened wide from a deep sleep and said, "YEAH!" He got dressed. I gave him his own map and compass for the journey. We ate poptarts on the way. What a great day. Talking about things that are important to a little boy who is 5. Clouds. Riding the bus. Friends. Animals. We walked through calf-deep mud. We watched the water of a stream cascade over rocks and flow under a bridge. On the way back home, from the back seat Sam said, "Another great day with my dad." The joy was mine. Usually I hurry through the woods as fast as I can collecting markers on Wednesday mornings before heading to work. This morning was cool. I still had to go to work. But I got to enjoy the morning the way Sam does.

1 comment:

Jean said...

He loves spending every second he can with you, looks up to you, enjoys getting all muddy with you and you are his hero. I'm glad he has you as his dad.