Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Of Blue Flames and Foul Odors

I was able to get both stoves working last night. The blue flames were beautiful. I did lots of experiments switching between priming pumps just to make sure my friend wouldn't have any problems on his upcoming trip. He should be good to go.

I have two MSR Whisper Lite stoves. They were purchased at the same time and are identical. One of their features is that you need to fill the bottom cup of the stove with fuel and do a pre-burn. In one of the experiments I got one stove going, but failed to turn the gas on for the other stove in time – so the pre-burn was in vain. I let it cool for a couple of minutes. If you don't let it cool the stove is too hot and the fuel vaporizes. I didn't let it cool long enough, and the fuel vaporized. But, like an IDIOT I didn't close the fuel valve. After about 30 seconds the flame from one stove jumped across to the non-lit to ignite the vapors. I thought to myself, "Self, I think your leg is on fire." I ran up the stairs of the porch. Legs went out. I did have the frame of mind to close the fuel nob to off.

Fortunately for me, Jean wasn't home. And, fortunately the kids were in bed by this point of the experiment. I did go in and ask Sam to smell my leg.

This morning I sort of forgot about the incident, though my leg feels like it has been sunburned. Most of the morning I kept thinking our drains were emitting some foul odor. Then, I realized I was the foul odor. I smell like a perm gone bad.

2 comments:

anne said...

Is it bad if I think it's funny?

*ahem* I hope you're ok! :)

Ed said...

It's totally okay to think it's funny. It was totally funny, in a twisted way. I chuckled to/at myself.