Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Cartographer's New Tool

There is as new tool in my gear pack. Yesterday I picked up my first GPS. I've never used one until yesterday, let alone own one. I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend. There is a bit of a learning curve, especially since I have only worked from a map and compass before. And, because I am not too patient at reading directions. I fiddle around with it, discover a question, then find the answer in the owner's manual. Learning by trial and error at its finest. I think I am over the hump know and am ready to take it into the woods and do elaborate plotting with it.

I am leading an orienteering group in the fall and will be using the GPS to mark the trails and set control markers in the woodlands. FUN! Tomorrow night after work Sam is going to hike Seidman Park with me to set waypoints for where the control markers will go. SWEET!

No comments: