Friday, January 28, 2011

A New Journey

One of the classes I am taking this term is Celtic Spirituality. The class has been a very good for me. I have been longing for an inner stillness, and I am finding it. The class readings, as well as the teaching, have reaffirmed how God refreshes me through being in nature and needing personal retreats––these are things that others had once shamed me for doing. Being in nature and personal retreats are how our professor, as well as the Celtic Christians, refreshed themselves, too. Besides that, I am loving the history of how the Celtic Christians lived among the pre-Christians in a loving and caring way, instead of the Roman way of conquering and changing the other.

The first day of class our professor had signs with names of different Celtic saints on the tables. Not knowing what it meant, I sat at "St. Brendan's" table. It was a good choice. As it turns out, St. Brendan was also called, "the Navigator," "the Voyager,", or "the Bold."

I have felt that God has been calling me to a new journey post-graduation. I have again used Visioneering by Andy Stanley––one of my all-time favorite books, about the Vision God gave Nehemiah to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the wall––for this vision. And today I was to have a meeting with someone about the vision. Last night before falling asleep I read this prayer from St. Brendan:

I thank You for this, my God,
I am a traveller and stranger
in the world,
like so many of Your people
before me.

There is a sense of adventure,
of openness to possibilities,
abandonment to God
and expectation
of fulfilling His will.

I accept the responsibility,
I'll hear and obey,
and trust it is Your voice I hear,
the call of the Spirit,
the cry of the Bird of Heaven.

It is a Yes to risky living . . .

The sea takes me;
where I do not know,
but I gladly go.

And I can only trust
every word You say,
and obey.

Today's meeting was very good. I look forward to what the rest of this adventure could look like.

No comments: