Monday, April 14, 2008

A Simple Life Lesson

Saturday night I was flipping through the channels. I stopped on the golf channel. I don't know why I stopped there. I don't play golf. It's one of those sports that I think would make me cuss more. Anyway... One of the guys at the golf desk was talking about something they were doing. It may have been a contest. It might not have been. But, they were asking people to send in life lessons their dads had taught them on the golf course. I thought that was a cool idea.

Yesterday Sam and I went to the Ionia State Game area for the first trail ride of the year. It's a little gentler terrain for Sam than a couple of the spots closer to home. We had a great time. We had about a mile and a half to go, and I was thinking about the "life lessons taught by dad on the golf course" segment. I was wondering if Sam would ever take anything away from our rides or things we do together.

We loaded up our bikes and started heading home. I called Jean and gave her our estimated arrival time. When I got off the phone Sam had this really sad look on his face. "What's the matter, Sam?" I asked. "I wish we were still mountain biking," he said. "Why is that?" I asked. He answered, "Because you are my best buddy."

If Sam never learns anything riding with me, he keeps teaching me important things.

No comments: