Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Furniture Shopping

Thursday afternoon and evening, and ALL DAY Friday were spent trying to find reasonably priced furniture for our family room. We didn't want anything "nice" because it is for a family room. Watching movies, playing Wii, laughing, and being together––with food. We had a budget, and we wanted comfort. Bang for the buck, value and coziness.

Friday we left our home around 8am with Jean driving the van with all of the seats removed, and me driving the car with Sam and Alina. We hit many garage sales and estate sales before the stores opened. Then, it was consignment stores, second hand stores and first hand stores. Stores with clearance sales and tent sales. Negotiating over floor model prices. Many stores––too many. The kids did well, but when you are 10 and 7 furniture shopping at dozens and dozens of places gets pretty old.

Around 3:30pm I asked Jean to take the kids home, and that I would keep looking. I went to 17 more stores, and ended up buying a sofa, two chairs, and coffee table at the place where I had parted ways with my family. It was the third time I had been there that day, including twice with Jean, Sam, and Alina. Now, we have comfy family room furniture and have been enjoying being in there together between activities and gatherings. Ahhh.


No comments: