Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Trifecta of Pepper Jellies

On Monday we spent some time at Pike's Place Market as a family. It was a great EdVenture. Before leaving, Sam and I sampled the Trifecta of Pepper Jellies. While they have many samples to try on the counter, the stand keeps these behind the counter and hands them out––perhaps so that no one burns there mouth unwittingly. Sam said that he would sample the Trifecta if I did. I think he just wanted to prove that he could handle the hot like me.

They work you up to the mother of pepper jelly––one using the dreaded "ghost pepper." The first two were tolerable. The one with the ghost pepper was very, very hot. I think Sam was hesitant to go for that last sample, but because he saw me try it, he tried it. The ladies behind the counter offered us a sample of lime jelly to reduce the fire of the ghost pepper jelly, but it wasn't enough. We quickly went to the drinking fountain and let the cold water set in our mouths for several minutes in order to put out the fire. We also inhaled the city's cold air through out mouths on the back to the car to help put out the fire.

Sam is a brave little man. He was the one who had originally told me about the ghost pepper. While we didn't sample it at its full capability because of the jelly's diluting effect, we felt the power. I was proud of Sam for his willingness and daringness––and, he was very proud of himself as well.

No comments: