Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Week of Teeth, and the Karate Kid

Sunday night Sam lost a tooth, and Alina lost a tooth Monday night. But, the most interesting losing teeth story came last night.

Last night was graduation for some of the program guys at my internship. This is a monthly event at the agency as guys advance through the program. I arrived home last night about 8:15pm, and Jean and the kids arrived home from church about 8:25pm. I asked Jean how her day was––she looked exhausted. "Well," she said, "Sam knocked two teeth out of another kid's mouth when they were playing 'Karate Kid.'"

Saturday night Sam, Jean and I watched the original Karate Kid while Alina was at a sleep over. Sam has continued watching the movie throughout the week. Last night at church Sam told a boy, "I wouldn't fight me if I were you, I know karate." Of course, he only knows karate from the movie. The boy told Sam that he knows karate, too. The boy proceeded to charge Sam, face first. Sam made a blocking move with his hand to alter the direction of the kid's face. He did, and he also altered the direction of the kid's two top teeth. He knocked one out, and the other was just dangling.

Fortunately, the boy's mom was really gracious about it. She said to Sam, "I should give you his tooth-fairy money because those teeth have been loose and he wouldn't attempt to pull them out."

No comments: