Saturday, October 02, 2010

Broken Glass

Thursday I left internship about 90 minutes early under the umbrella of "self-care." I had been at internship for 11 hours and fifteen minutes the day before due to the graduation celebration. Knowing that I was leaving early, I had scheduled an inspection for 6pm that was located north of the city. Leaving early would also help me beat the 5 o'clock traffic. It had been a good day of great counseling.

As I walked to my car, I noticed an envelope on my windshield. As I got closer, I noticed my driver's side door glass was smashed. I park in parking garage. I always park way down. It's not a huge parking garage, so I was probably twenty spaces away from the entrance. My rationalism for parking where I do is that anyone who might try to vandalize or steal would do so closer to the entrance for a quick get away. I was wrong.

The envelope on the windshield was from the police department. Inside the envelope was a note from a police officer saying that the lot attendant noticed the car prowl at 1300 hours. There was so much glass on the driver's seat. So much. There was also a pile of glass that had been swept neatly into a 30"x3"x3" heap. Because of the amount of glass, I don't think it was just my car that was burglarized. At first it didn't look like anything was taken. The console was open, but I never keep anything in it. The envelope holding the registrations and insurance info, along with the car's manuals, from the glove box were on the floor. I don't keep anything of value in the glove box. They didn't take my phone's earpiece. They didn't take my Marmott rain-jacket. They didn't even take a gift card that I had on the front seat that was sitting on top of some books.

It surprised me someone would want to break into my car. It has never had a radio––it has a factory Toyota faceplate where a radio is supposed to go. The care is about as basic as you can get.

As I was driving north on I-90, with glass continuing to fall in as I was sitting on a tarp from the trunk to save my backside from broken glass, I realized they did get my camera that I was needing for the inspection. Fortunately, Alina let me borrow her camera. As I was downloading photos from my inspection, these were a few of the photos on her camera. She made me smile.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

*Sigh.* Good job finding the good things to share, Ed. (And good work protecting your keister, I presume.) Alina is a tremendous gift on a yukky day. Love you guys.