Monday, April 06, 2009

My Blood Runs Green and White Tonight

Tonight we'll be cheering for Michigan State during the national championship game. Not just because we are from Michigan. The reasons are much deeper than that.

My maternal grandfather went to MSU when it was still named MAC (Michigan Agricultural College).

There are a lot of boyhood memories on campus. The star shows at the planetarium. Bell concerts at Beaumont Tower. MSU basketball in the days of Magic Johnson, and football games. During my senior year of high school, while other kids were at parties, my friend Ethan and I were on the third floor of Michigan State's library looking at topographical maps.

My undergraduate degree, with three major changes, is from Michigan State University.

My first date with Jean was at Michigan State where we saw an outdoor summer play. Michigan State is where I first attempted to tell Jean I loved her. Beaumont Tower on campus is where I proposed, and she accepted.

For many reasons, my blood runs green and white tonight.

No comments: