Thursday, March 19, 2009

Getting Ready

Sam and I have been packing for the "Big Weekend." Most Saturdays is "EdVenture Saturday" for the family. But, this coming weekend is a little different.

Next Thursday Sam turns 8. To celebrate Sam and I are going into the mountains Saturday with the Wilderness Ministry from church. We are snowshoeing in, building igloos to sleep in, eating dinner, breakfast the next morning and heading home Sunday. Alina is so sweet in that even though she isn't going with us she wants to help us pack up the gear.

It will be a very good trip. Mostly, because I will be spending time with my favorite exploring buddy. But, it will be good to leave paper writing behind for 30 hours and be kind and gracious to myself, and allow God to be kind and gracious to me as well. It has been a hard week. Almost like the perfect storm – the weaning of medication was going oh so well for weeks until making the next dosage drop Monday; papers upon papers due next week; a new job for Jean and anxiously waiting about another; two inspections early in the week; and therapy today. But, therapy was great; my papers are coming along slow and steady (slow and steady wins the race, as Alina says); I got to hang out with Jean, Sam and Alina at the Spotted Cow for white hot chocolate after Jean's big day; and so much more goodness to be celebrated. I am a blessed man. I am in a good place mentally to engage Sam well this weekend and enjoy him this weekend, and to enjoy how far I have come as a man.

No comments: