Sunday, August 31, 2008

Feeling Like Home

It's starting to feel like home here. Only because our things are here. I miss the men that brought me back to life over the past couple of years – Johnny, Steve, Kevin, Brian M., Brian V., Tim, Marc, Kurt, Carl, Dave, Jon. Their friendships have been invaluable. Saying "goodbye for now" was harder than I thought it would be. The farewell party didn't impact me too much because we still had a week to go. But, saying goodbye to the guys at the Tuesday night ride made things start to sink in. The last Thursday morning study with Brian M. was bitter sweet. We had communion at the top of the Cannonsburg Ski Hill, one of the favorite places to mountain bike, and one of hte highest points in Kent county. It got harder Thursday night saying goodbye to Steve, and then to Johnny. It would really feel like home if our friends were here.

This is the morning sunrise from the back of our house. Seeing the sunrise like this is pretty rare as it is usually cloudy/foggy/rainy most mornings.

Yesterday I finally got back on my bike after being off of it for over a month due to being sick. Sam and I found a single track and had fun exploring. Last night and today the symptoms of my illness were back after being on the bike. I need to pace myself coming back, yet, I need to ride again. Riding is so therapeutic.

Today we visited a church that we will definitely go to again. It's only 10 minutes away, the people were friendly, the band was very good, and the pastor's message stuck with me. Jean's dad met the Sr. Pastor while we were dropping off the kids before the service. After the service while we were getting the kids the Sr. Pastor told Jean's dad to be sure to introduce us to him when we came back. A very nice, genuine man.

Being able to talk with our "home friends" makes them feel not so far away, and being here a little easier.

No comments: