Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Seeing Old Friends

John and I have been friends for a long, long time. We have hiked Canada together and the Rockies together. We spent most of our free time together. Leadership team, music, talking trips, playing volleyball, and on the list could go. He went with me to pick up Jean's engagement ring the day that I proposed to her, then on the way back he prayed for me. We were in each others' weddings. He was my best man in our wedding.

Over the weekend we were specially invited to come surprise him for his 40th birthday. It was priceless. We arrived while they were at the store. We waited for them on their front porch. He was so shocked that we came all that way just to see him. It was good to see him. To hear about the journey he is on. It was good to laugh and remember and tell new stories together. It was also good to make that John smirk return to his face, and restore the twinkle in his eye that I hadn't seen during the past few visits. It was good to see my friend, and honor him.

3 comments:

Jean said...

It WAS a fun weekend wasn't it? I'm glad you were able to rehash old memories, make new ones and laugh. Lots.

Ed said...

I am glad that you were able to laugh and share with Valerie, too. I know you wish they lived closer. So does Sam. I am glad that we have all remained great friends for the last 15 years. WOW!! That's a LONG time!

Jean said...

That's like half my life!!! :-)
Maybe someday..but if they move to CA, I think a yearly visit is in order. :)