Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Sam

"She named him Samuel, saying, 'Because I asked the LORD for him'" (I Samuel 1:20).

Ten years ago today Sam came into the world. Long before we even thought about having kids, I prayed for a son. I wanted to be the kind of dad that I didn't have. When Jean became pregnant we decided not to find out if we were having a girl or a boy. After 20 hours of labor for Jean, she delivered our son. When I saw that it was a boy, I cried because God had answered my prayer. We named our son Samuel because we had asked the LORD for him.

And I am only now beginning to learn what asking the LORD for him really means. Even though we are shaping Sam, Sam is also shaping us. He has helped me become a gentler, kinder, and more patient man. I am thankful that God gave me the very son our family needed. Lots of energy, lots of hunger, a love for play a big smile, and a sensitive spirit. Happy Birthday Buddy!


1 comment:

Valerie said...

Love Sam. Love this!