Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Of Brotherhood and Chocolate Donuts

Saturday afternoon we were blessed by the arrival of treasured friends. Nathan, Kerry Lynne, Josh, and Eva were on their way back to their home in Virginia after spending the week of Christmas in Michigan's upper peninsula with family.

Nathan and Kerry Lynne were in the very first small group that Jean and I ever tried back in 1999. Our apartments were about 5 minutes apart. The friendship flourished. Hanging out at each others' place, going to see bands, on and on. Nathan can be credited as the one who got me hooked on mountain biking. There was a bond formed that even their move to Virginia 9 short months later couldn't break. We continued to see the friendship flourish. We encouraged each other through job changes, moves, joys, and heartaches. We've experienced adventure races, a business, and vacations together. I've hurt them, and they gave me forgiveness.

Though Nathan and I talk at least once a week it had been three years since I'd seen him. Having young kids and using vacation time for ministry had limited our ability to travel. I was leading a backpacking trip when they came to Michigan this past summer, so being able to have them at our place was a huge treat.

We took the boys sledding late afternoon. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. Wow, I needed to see my friend. He is one of those guys that you laugh your lungs out with and moments later be sharing the depths of the pain in your heart. The beats of our hearts are very similar. That is why it is always easy to pick up where we left off. Nathan, to you I say SLAP SLAP!!

No comments: